Sunday, October 9, 2011

We beat the discussion "Should You lie about your age" to death

Networking especially, it's the best and most productive method, and it usually results in a much better paying job and a better fit. I also agree that we need to find angles and use that to your advantage. I agree too that we need to be patient, and work much smarter than ever before in our job search. Randy, you also made an excellent suggestion that people should find a company where they really "want" to work and can see themselves in that role/company. If anything, they may call you later when things turn around, where if you never talked or contacted them, they wouldn't know you at all.

Use your age, not literally talk about it in the interview, but as a means to draw upon your experience in the work force in general. You know what works, doesn't work, and what things really make a difference in a company and/or position. Make good suggestions, use examples, show them you're not just another "book smart" young whipper-snapper. Brag modestly a little, especially when they ask you about your accomplishments or what you are proud of etc. Bring any documentation of your past accomplishments, letters of recommendations, past evaluations. Seeing is believing, telling is not as powerful. They want to see you as positive, confident and genuinely interested, not desparate and/or just trying to get "a" job. I know our choices are limited, and we all need a paycheck to survive, but if you don't seem genuine, then they will worry you are going to run off when things do get better. Besides, they are already thinking that way before you applied.

I just had an interview Wednesday with a major worldwide company. I flat out told the inteveiwer, who would be my direct boss, "I want this job", and I told her why. I really knew I deep down I would love that job and be an excellent fit for it. Don't wait for them to ask you, "why do you want to work for us". Be aggressive, in the right measure, not over confident or arrogant. By the way, she was impressed and told me she liked my attitude and drive, it shows I am sincerely interested and confident in the right way. I still have another interview to go through, but at least I'm still in the running.

Like Randy said, you need to show, or make them see how you can bring/add value to their company. And, I also think they need to see that you have the right chemistry to fit into their organization, so don't rule that out. You can be all that and then some, but if you can't get them to see you as fit on the personal side, it won't happen. I think Randy will agree with me on that too. Now, unless you are a number cruncher, and will be isolated in a cubical so to speak, then maybe personality is not that important. But, if you have to interact with people on a daily basis and can't effectively communicate and get along, then you will be seen as a future problem.

I have been laid off twice in 1 1/2 yrs. The first time it took me 7 months to find a job, and now this time I'm going on my fourth month, BUT I have a job offer already and am still waiting to hear back from four other companies for a second interview. I feel extremely blessed to have such activity. I admit, all but one of the jobs are paying much much less than what I was previously making, but I am still grateful. You can't let "pride" stand in your way.

I wish everyone good fortune and I even though I am unemployed, I still feel bad about those who are in danger, or have already, loss their homes etc. For what it's worth, You're not alone.

Last thing....sincerely PRAY. If anything, it may help you find comfort.

Hey, I'm three months away from getting my shopping cart and strolling down the street! Surpisingly, I'm not stressing out because I am staying positive and active knowing I will find work.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home