Saturday, October 8, 2011

"Desired Salary" when the online application mandates you enter a number,

the past salary thing is also one of those that bother me. If you have updated your qualifications/education, then it may be irrevalent as to how much you made at your last position. But also, what if your last position included a bonus or profit sharing that fluctuated or worse, a profit sharing that never materialized? (Say you get laid off just before annual dispersment of it.) If you enter total potential compensation you had agreed to work for in the past and they ask prior employer, the employer's respondant may not include the overall/total potential compensation package valuation.

Another one of those questions that get me is "Have you EVER recieved or have been convicted of a Felony or Misdemeanor citation?"..Come on, Seriously! A misdemeanor? Who hasn't gotten a traffic citation (which is a misdemeanor)? Ok, if the position is a truck driver/delivery etc, then it makes sense. At least break out the Felony question from the Misdemeanor question and allow an explanation box.

Example: My lawnmower died a few summers back and while mower was in shop I got a ticket from the city on July 2nd because my grass was 9" tall (mind you -no weeds in grass, just luscious St Augustine) Why? It was just before Fourth of July Parade was to go down my street. Yes, I did not cut my grass for almost three weeks in June and grass was more like 5", with some spots around 9", but I did maintain edging and was able cut the grass in time for the parade, but Judge said "Nope, It was already too tall (>8") when you got ticket". So I have a misdemeanor on my record. Total B.S. of a law if you ask me. So now if I don't answer yes to such a narrow question, I face termination for lying on application, and if I answer yes, then I might get looked over since there is no separation of Felony from Misdemeanor or ability to explain either.

I also recently came across this 'salary desired' question on an online application. I usually enter what base dollar salary or hourly figure it will take to get me interested in the position, but have also entered the $1.00 in the past. I don't see this as a fair question especially if the application already has prior compensation information.

Though in the interviewers defense, one interviewer recently confessed at an initial phone interveiw that they had a qualified candidate whom they never asked how much he wanted until they got to the second in person interview and the candidate replied $120K/yr. While some persons could make that much $ in a smilar position, It was at least double, if not triple, the realistic mean amount for the type of job and experience.

Having some database experience and knowledge makes me wonder how short sighted the designer of the application was and why things like these I shared here and illegal questions regarding birthdate/age & veteran status questions are in these.

These type of questions (well, just the legal ones) should only be presented as a secondary level application query to a "qualified candidate."

As far as salary, past or future, the inclusion of a checkboxes or dropdowns to add "other financial compensation" such as bonus or profit sharing valuations would be well received.

I really wonder how many people who design these online applications have actual old school paper application, resume and interview experience?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At November 8, 2016 at 6:34 AM , Blogger aliyaa said...

It is most excellent for imparting and actually attention grabbing cover letter editing

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home